Laurel & Hardy's Festival of Laffs
Saturday, December 14, 2013
2:20 PM only
Advance tickets available
Alamo Drafthouse - The Ritz
320 E 6th Street
By sworn survey, 253 solid laffs are guaranteed! Join us at The Ritz as we screen four of Laurel and Hardy's finest two-reelers, projected in glorious 16mm!
- Big Business (Dir. James W. Horne and Leo McCarey, 1929, silent)
- Selling Christmas trees door-to-door, Laurel and Hardy encounter a cantankerous homeowner (James Finlayson) and enter an epic battle of reciprocal destruction that involves a piano, a hose, a policeman, and an exploding cigar.
- Liberty (Dir. Leo McCarey, 1929, silent)
- Laurel and Hardy are prison escapees who wind up wearing each other's pants. A cop chases them to a construction site, where they desperately try to switch trousers while contending with girders twenty stories above the ground.
- Two Tars (Dir. James Parrott, 1928, silent)
- Sailors on leave, Laurel and Hardy pick up two girls and eventually find themselves in the middle of a giant traffic jam. Tempers boil over and soon, the street explodes in a mess of automobile parts.
- Perfect Day (Dir. James Parrott, 1929, sound)
- Laurel and Hardy embark on a pleasant Sunday picnic with their families, including their grouchy, gout-ridden Uncle Edgar (Edgar Kennedy). Unfortunately, they run into a variety of issues with their Ford Model T, resulting in an all-out turf war with neighbors.
Saturday Secret Matinees
Every Saturday @ 2:00 PM
January 11 – March 29, 2014
Discounted series passes available soon: watch this space!
Grand Illusion Cinema
1403 NE 50th St. ~ at University Way, in the U District
Recreating the weekend matinees of yester-year! Every Saturday afternoon through March, see a pulse-pounding cliffhanger episode of the 1949 serial Batman and Robin, paired with a classic (but secret) feature film!
Our secret features follow monthly themes...
January: Superheroes – Good guys battle evil!
Feburary: Tough Guys – Gangsters and westerns!
March: B-Movie Monsters – Low-budget creature features!
"Crime, striking our city night and day, is on the increase. Our undermanned police force is helpless to cope with the situation, but they have an ally — Batman — who, with the faithful Robin, wages unending war against all criminals!"
A black-hooded criminal mastermind, THE WIZARD, steals a device that can remotely control any motor vehicle within 50 miles. Working from a secret base that can be accessed only by submarine, The Wizard and his gang embark on a campaign to steal countless diamonds! Caped crusaders BATMAN and ROBIN struggle against all odds against The Wizard, while reporter VICKI VALE also follows the trail of crime and violence! Who is The Wizard? Can he be stopped?!
Made near the end of the movie serial era, Batman and Robin (1949) was the second (and final) serial to feature the legendary comic book heroes created by Bob Kane. The popularity of its rerelease in the 1960s led to the campy TV series starring Adam West and Burt Ward. But this classic serial plays it straight, rising above its low budget by delivering 15 chapters of action, thrills, and intrigue!
DON'T MISS A SINGLE ASTOUNDING EPISODE!!!