Saturday Secret Matinee series
Every Saturday @ 2:00 PM (except Jan. 10 @ 1:00 PM)
January 10 – March 28, 2015
Grand Illusion Cinema
1403 NE 50th St. ~ in the U District, at University Way
Recreating the weekend matinees of yester-year! Every Saturday afternoon through March, see a pulse-pounding cliffhanger episode of the 1941 serial The Adventures of Captain Marvel, paired with a classic (but secret) feature film!
Monthly themes for the Secret Features!
January: Saturday Morning TV Classics – In memoriam for a lost tradition.
Feburary: Antique Futures – Pre-1940 sci-fi, plus futuristic silent-era shorts.
March: Walk Like a Wagon – Ride the range with classic westerns.
The Sprocket Society seeks to cultivate the love of the mechanical cinema, its arts and sciences, and to encourage film preservation by bringing film and its history to the public through screenings, educational activities, and our own archival efforts.
Founded in 2007, we have produced film screenings in Seattle since 2008, with programs ranging from silent film to documentaries, experimental cinema to the Secret Matinee series (complete with weekly serial episodes), and more. In 2012, our first branch chapter was formed in Austin, Texas.
Learn more about our previous screenings, or read program notes from them.
To receive announcements of upcoming events subscribe to our email list by inquiring at sprocketsociety [at] gmail [dot] com. We also have an official Facebook page.
Past Programs by The Sprocket Society Have Included:
Silent Magic: Trick Films and Special Effects, 1895-1912 —
Pioneering special effects epics from around the world.
- Experimental Memoria — A screening series honoring the passing of three giants of experimental cinema in 2012.
- First Light: The Birth of Cinema 1895-1901 — Pioneering films from France, Britain, Russia, and the USA. Plus short documentaries about magic lanterns and the Library of Congress paper print collection.
- Breakaway: Films by Bruce Conner, 1958-2004 — Brilliant and influential experimental works made primarily with found footage.
- The Heart of Life — Robert Enrico's stunning trilogy of award-winning films based on Ambrose Bierce short stories.
- Secret Matinee Series — An annual series recreating the weekend matinees of yester-year, with weekly serial episodes and secret classic features.
- First Words: The Birth of Sound Cinema, 1895-1929 — Rare short films tracing the evolution of sound cinema, plus live re-enactments of Lyman Howe's pioneering Victrola accompaniments.
- and many others...